What is HSO?
HSO stands for Health Standards Organization. Formed in February 2017, our goal is to unleash the power and potential of people around the world who share our passion for achieving quality health services for all. We are a registered non-profit headquartered in Ottawa, Canada.
What does that mean?
As our name states, our focus is on developing standards, assessment programs, and other methodologies to enable health and social service providers around the world to move the needle on quality while doing what they do best: saving and improving lives.
Where did HSO come from?
HSO is building on the strength of nearly 60 years of experience by Accreditation Canada, Canada’s leading health care accreditation body and our other Global Program Partners.
Health care and service systems around the world are changing and so are we.
In 2016, we consulted more than 700 stakeholders across Canada and around the world to understand how best to put our collective learnings to work. Key takeaways from this review include:
- Standards development must be separate from conducting assessments in order to be the best-in-class at both
- The accreditation process must be more accountable and transparent, with a stronger focus on outcomes and consistency
- Standards and assessments need to be easily actionable, clinically relevant, and tailored to local contexts
- Patients (and their families), practitioners and policy-makers all play critical roles in achieving quality health services for all; people must be at the center of everything we do
Why create a new organization?
Rigorous consensus-based, evidence-informed standards are the basis of any great assessment program. We created HSO to spearhead a global movement to improve and save lives using the best standards, innovative tools, and leading expertise from around the world.
As an HSO affiliate, Accreditation Canada will deliver objective, credible and outcome-oriented assessment programs using the best standards available and empowering providers to focus on what matters to them in their local context.
As the global health care landscape undergoes major change, both HSO and Accreditation Canada are here, with you on your quality improvement journey.
A snapshot of HSO and Accreditation Canada
|Health Standards Organization (HSO) builds world-class standards and innovative assessment programs, new technologies and activation services for accreditation bodies, governments, associations and others.||Accreditation Canada delivers HSO’s high-impact, high-value assessment programs including certification and accreditation to Canadian and international clients.|
What makes HSO and Accreditation Canada different from any other standards development or accreditation body?
HSO and Accreditation Canada are focused squarely on the people that power health systems around the world: patients, providers and policy-makers. We strongly believe that our person-centered approach to the design of products, standards and assessments will make a real difference in improving quality and health outcomes.
From incorporating patients into accreditation surveyor teams to including patients on the technical committees that review our standards to offering unique solutions that help organizations focus on person-centered care, we’re putting people first.
We call this philosophy People Powered Health™.
Over the coming year, you’ll hear more and more about it. It’s what we’re all about.
How to get involved
- Subscribe to our newsletter (bottom of this page)
- Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube
- Apply to join a Technical Committee
- Sponsor or endorse one of our standards
- Provide input through a Public Review of one of our standards
- Become a surveyor with one of our Global Program Partners
- Work with us
Watch: A message from our CEO, Leslee Thompson