This HSO 42002:2019 (E) Diagnostic Imaging Services Standard is an updated version of Health Standard Organization’s (HSO) previous Diagnostic Imaging standard, which has been revised
to incorporate changes and developments in the sector.
This standard will be undergoing a periodic maintenance. HSO will review and publish this standard on a schedule not to exceed five years from the date of publication.
Standard Type: This standard is intended to be used as part of a conformity assessment
The technical content of the standard consists of clauses, criteria and guidelines.
• Clause: Introductory statement for a set of criteria. It is not a goal statement.
• Criterion: A requirement that is to be evaluated. May be referred to as a sub-clause.
• Guideline: Additional information to help understand the criterion. It does not contain new information of evaluation content.
Who this standard is for
The HSO 42002:2019 – Diagnostic Imaging Services Standard provides guidance to deliver quality and safe diagnostic imaging services. The standard promotes an integrated approach to diagnostic imaging where diagnostic imaging providers work with referring medical professionals not only to provide the services but to improve them. The standard addresses the structures and processes required at the service delivery level to provide quality and safe care, including:
• Meeting the Needs of Patients and Referring Medical Professionals
• Having the Right People
• Providing a Safe Environment
• Selecting, Operating and Maintaining Diagnostic Imaging Equipment
• Using Diagnostic Imaging Services Safely
• Keeping Records Accurate, Up to Date, and Secure
• Monitoring the Safety and Quality of Diagnostic Imaging Services
The diagnostic imaging modalities addressed in this standard include echocardiography, magnetic resonance imaging, nuclear medicine, positron emission tomography, radiography, computed tomography, mammography, bone mineral densitometry, fluoroscopy, angiography, and sonography. Radiotherapy is covered by HSO 34005:2018 – Cancer Care.
HSO 42002:2019 – Diagnostic Imaging Services Standard applies to organizations that provide diagnostic imaging services in a hospital setting. This standard applies to all diagnostic imaging that occurs in the organization and is not limited to diagnostic imaging services provided in the radiology department. Criteria for standalone diagnostic imaging clinics can be found in HSO 42003:2018 – Medical Imaging Centres Standard.
This standard provides the organization, managers, supervisors, referring medical professionals, administrative staff, and diagnostic imaging providers with guidance to address quality and safety in relation to diagnostic imaging services.