This is the first edition of HSO 83001:2018 (E), Virtual Health Standard. This standard will be undergoing a periodic maintenance. HSO will review and publish this standard on a schedule not to exceed five years from the date of publication. It is intended to align with other HSO health service provider standards that apply to organizations that receive and/or deliver Virtual Health services.
The standards, criteria, and guidelines are grouped into five sections based on these functions:
- Virtual Health service design
- Role of the patient in the Virtual Health service
- Ethical and safe Virtual Health service
- Patient records used in the Virtual Health service
The standard specifies requirements for organizations receiving and/or delivering quality health care via Virtual Health services. The standard was prepared by the HSO Technical Committee on Technology-Enabled Health under the authority of HSO Standards Steering Committee.
Standard Type: This standard is intended to be used as part of a conformity assessment.
The technical content of the standard consists of clauses, criteria and guidelines.
- Clause: Introductory statement for a set of criteria. It is not a goal statement.
- Criterion: A requirement that is to be evaluated. May be referred to as a sub-clause.
- Guideline: Additional information to help understand the criterion. It does not contain new information of evaluation content.
The standard specifies the requirements for organizations that receive and/or deliver Virtual Health services, ensuring they address quality and safety and put patients at the centre of what they do.
The standard provides:
- Organizations that receive and/or deliver Virtual Health services with guidance on how to ensure quality and safety in their institutional and virtual contexts
- Policy makers with a blueprint for the requirements to designate organizations that receive and/or deliver Virtual Health services in their jurisdictions
- External assessment bodies with measurable requirements to include in assessment programs
This standard is intended to be used in conjunction with other related standards that apply to hospitals and specialized hospitals. It is not intended to be used in isolation.
This standard applies to all health service organizations that receive and/or deliver Virtual Health, regardless of the model (i.e., centralized/decentralized; hospital, regional, provincial/territorial).